- Born in 1965, obtained Master’ Degree in Chemistry in 1987 from Utkal University, Doctorate Degree in Social Sciences and started teaching at the age of 22
- 30 years of teaching experience and counting
- Founder Chancellor of KIIT-Deemed to be University and the youngest Chancellor of any Indian University
- Founder Chancellor of KISS-Deemed to be University (first Tribal University in the world) and the first person to be Chancellor of any Tribal University in the world
- Served as a member of two apex Educational bodies of India, University Grants Commission (UGC) for two consecutive terms (2008-11 & 2011-2014) and Executive Committee of All Indian Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
- First Odia to become Member of UGC and the first Indian to be Member of both UGC and AICTE simultaneously
- Served as a Member of several other Govt. of India bodies like NCTE, ISTE, ISCA, COIR BOARD, CAPART etc
- Served as a Member of the Academic Council of Central University of Assam and Odisha
- Nominated as Principal Advisor to the Department of Education, of Manipur, by the Governor of Manipur
- Currently, General President of Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) – 2017-18
- Honoured with National Award for the welfare of children 2016 by His Excellency, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, Hon’ble President of India
- Honoured with first ever Kautilya Award by Indian Economic Association
- Delivered nearly 100 motivational speeches, including convocation address, keynote address and foundation day lecture in different institutions and organizations across the country and abroad
- Conferred with 38 Honoris Causa Doctorate Awards from prestigious Universities across the globe
- 4 National and International Fellowships – ISTE, CSI, ICA & APACH
- Decorated with Civilian Awards from countries including Gusi Peace Prize International, the Highest Civilian Award from Bahrain besides over 50 National and International and over 200 State Honors and accolades
- Founder of Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT-Deemed to be University) – kiit.ac.in– and Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS-Deemed to be University), Bhubaneswar – www.kiss.ac.in – fully free and fully residential tribal institute
- Samanta – www.achyutasamanta.com started KIIT and KISS with only Rs. 5000/- (100 USD) in a two-room rented house. KIIT has now grown into the most promising professional University in the Country with global acclaim having 27,000 students from across the globe
- KISS has become the largest Residential Tribal Institute in the world providing free Education from Kindergarten to Post Graduation, a home for 37,000 tribal children (27,000 existing students and 10,000 graduated)
- KIIT and KISS chronicled in the Limca Book of Records and 3 Guinness World Records on many counts
- Immense contribution in the field of Education, Professional Education, Health, Art, Culture, Literature, Rural Development, Social Service and Spiritualism
- Transformed the remote village ‘Kalarabanka’, Cuttack into a Smart Village and the entire Manpur Panchayat into a Model Panchayat (cluster of villages)
- Working to establish 20 branches of KISS in different districts of Odisha and another 20 branches across the country besides establishing KISS-Delhi in 2013 for the underprivileged sections of the society and 2 branches of KISS in Bangladesh
- Providing employment to around 10,000 directly and over one lakh indirectly
- Created 100 successful Entrepreneurs across the country
- Lost father at the age of four struggled poverty and hunger, but now is an iconic educationist, an emblem of service to humanity, a beacon of light for social transformation, and a redeemer of the fallen, the oppressed and the marginalized leading a simple and sacrificed life as a bachelor
- Hobby is to spread happiness and peace in the society and to see smile in the face of poor children
- Samanta has been working relentlessly to achieve Zero Poverty, Zero Hunger and Zero Illiteracy since 1987
Brief Information about Prof. Achyuta Samanta
Prof. Achyuta Samanta www.achyutasamanta.com was born to Late Neelima Rani Samanta and Late Shri Anadi Charan Samanta. But, unlike most children blessed with endless care, comfort and compassionate nurture in the lap of their parents, Achyuta Samanta’s childhood was the most difficult, grief-stricken and struggle-full. He was four when his father died in a tragic train accident. He failed to understand when his family was bereaved of the only bread earner. At such a tender age, because of the stroke of misfortune, he began to understand the pains of poverty that the family had to face. His father, a petty worker, exhausted the limited money he earned and took a huge amount of hand loan to support his seven children and wife. The family bequeathed debts and poverty after father’s untimely death.
In such dark circumstances, all the seven siblings started struggling to survive along with their widowed mother in Kalarabanka, a remote village in Odisha without anything in anybody’s hand or any backing. At four, Achyuta Samanta started struggling for his survival. As he grew up to understand the difficulties, he assisted his mother in household chores and other menial jobs to augment income for the family. His upbringing in the midst of nature and hardships took place in a remote village with no amenities, not even basic, before forty-five years. He grew up in a thatched house just like a cowshed left by his deceased father.
His mother had to face unending struggles. Because of her commitment and determination, she did odd menial jobs to manage two square meals a day for her children. Sometimes, they did not have food for the night. The siblings managed to study and get a formal education besides helping their mother to supplement the family income with honesty and determination. Achyuta Samanta completed his Intermediate with distinction despite financial distress. He obtained graduation and Post Graduation Degree in Chemistry and was engaged in private tuitions and mentoring for funding his education and helping his siblings.
The same person whose childhood just unfolded miseries, created Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) www.kiit.ac.in and Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) www.kiss.ac.in in 1992-1993 with 100 USD (Rs.5000/-). While KIIT has become one of the most acclaimed and recognized Indian Universities that provides Professional Education to 27,000 students from India and abroad, KISS has become world’s largest tribal educational institution. It is a home to 27, 000 poorest of the poor tribal children who are given free education from Kindergarten to Post graduation along with other avenues of Comprehensive Development. KISS has huge alumni of 10,000 students with a decent profession and livelihood besides creating a wave of change in their communities. KISS is the first exclusive Tribal University in the world.
The whole world, policy makers, educationists, economists talk about ‘poverty alleviation through Education’ as a solution to address the global problems that exist today. This cardinal principle has been the very foundation of KIIT and KISS. It was envisioned, implemented, executed and achieved by Achyuta Samanta in true sense for the last 25 years.
He initiated KIIT and KISS when there was not adequate awareness about professional Education in Odisha. Tribal Education in an innovative model was not even thought of. It was a gray area where every stakeholder failed or did not muster up the courage to initiate the first step. Achyuta Samanta founded these two institutions during that period despite such a dismal scenario. His initiatives have become a pride of Odisha, India and the world today.
He strongly believes that his cause is not only about providing opportunities and arranging certain facilities for the deprived but beyond it, by enabling the complete transformation of children. The students have excelled in academics and co-curricular activities.
His contribution is not only confined to Academics and Education. It permeates to Rural Development, Women Empowerment, Social Service, Low-Cost Health Care Facilities, Art, Literature, Media, Culture, Entertainment and Spiritualism. Despite his spectacular success and achievements, he leads a simple and dedicated life in a two room rented house as a bachelor dedicating himself to the service of humanity with patience and passion as his strength and humility, simplicity, modesty and transparency as his assets.